Thursday, August 22, 2013

Quick Post Chemo Update

Just wanted to post a quick update to let everyone know how Stella has been doing in the days since her first chemo treatment.  She got sick the first night for about 3 1/2 hours.  I was up with her until about 3 a.m. teaching her how to throw up in a bowl and cleaning her up.  Needless to say, on Wednesday we were all exhausted.  I think our entire family was asleep last night by 8:30.

Thankfully, that has been the extent of Stella's nausea so far.  She has otherwise been doing great.  She has been eating well and has not been running a fever.  We have to keep a close eye on her temperature as her immune system gets low and have been told that we must immediately take her to the hospital if she ever gets a fever that sits at 100.5 for an hour, or if her temp ever hits 101.  

Today I had a short meeting with Leslie Katich at the Northern Nevada Children's Cancer Foundation.  We had been referred to them by our oncologist as well as some friends who have a child with cancer.  Leslie called me last week to introduce herself and their group, and today we were able to meet in person.  What a great organization.  Their sole purpose is to raise money to help families in Northern Nevada who have children with cancer.  They provide counseling services, organize events for families, provide financial assistance, and provide all sorts of other support.  If you are a family in Northern Nevada (or the eastern Sierra, I believe they work with families in Tahoe) who has a child with cancer, I strongly urge you to reach out to this group.  And if you do not have a child with cancer (and I sincerely hope you do not), but are looking for an amazing organization to support in any way, please think of this one.  I was extremely impressed with Leslie and the foundation.  http://www.nvchildrenscancer.org/  My kids will also be happy when I get home from work (yes, it is 7:45 p.m. and I am still at work trying to catch up. . .) because Leslie sent me home with toys for Stella, Max and Eli.  This woman would not take no for answer!  :-)

Below is a picture of Stella from yesterday.  Leah took her to the craft store while I was at work and they made the cutest tutu.  :-) 



   

1 comment:

The Katich Family said...

Hey there Woelfel Family,

Your strength and attitude is inspiring. Stella is truly a beauty and she is very lucky to have such a great Mum and Dad.

Stay Strong,
L